Wednesday 23 May 2012

Registration/Build Day 89


Build time today 1.0 hours - Total build time 259.5 hours.
Man time today 1.0 hours - Total man time 288.5 hours.

Got the Registration process under way, it was more stress full than the IVA test. Took the trip across Birmingham yesterday trouble was I had not fully read the V55/4 guide and only had my old paper license and no other proof of ID. Wast of an hour.

Went again today, I was told, even though I had a certificate of newness from Westfield I still needed to fill another form in V627/1 (Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report). I have just searched for the form and found another PDF "Guidelines on how you can register kit cars and rebuilt or radically altered vehicles" this also mentions SVA so I think refers to old legislation and if you follow the link back "www.direct.gov.uk/vehiclereg" the information is different and as I expected. If you follow the links to "Registering a kit built vehicle"


Documents needed to register your kit built car or motorcycle
To register your kit built car or motorcycle you will need:

  • official receipts for the vehicle and any components used
  • build plans for the vehicle
  • correct vehicle tax (where appropriate)
  • £55 registration fee (if required)
  • a certificate of newness
  • from V55/4 – application for a licence for a new motor vehicle and declaration for registration
  • insurance certificate
  • documentation confirming your name and address
  • individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) or Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA)

If the vehicle cannot pass IVA or MSVA it cannot be registered.

No mention of inspections or V627/1. Had I know I would have printed the relevant page from the DirectGov website.

Finally having filled in forms, produced documents, visited different counters, paid money (£275, £55 first reg fee and £220 for Tax) they said that as it was a self build it could not be completed today and the documents and Tax would be sent out in the post. 

Tremendous, why the differentiation between factory assembled and self build kits, the IVA inspector said that I had built the car to a higher standard than the factory.   Its about time they got their processes in order.

travelling back to work I ended up sitting in a traffic jam for half and hour, car broken down just as two lanes merged in to one for road works.

When I got home I thought I would have a go at fitting the wind deflectors, I had checked with the factory and they have not real guidance apart from make sure I use something to protect the car body where the deflector touches. As a temporary measure I used some the edging that had just fallen of the rear of the front  cycle wings. It is not actually the correct size so I will need to order some. I used a couple of small clamps to hold the deflector on to the top brackets to get the alignment started. In the end I decided that the appropriate seemed to be to get the lowest crease in the deflector in line with the top edge of the side body panel. then it was a matter of marking, drilling and fitting the brackets, I only pealed enough of the protective cover to allow the supports to be attached until all was complete.
It does not show up very well in the picture which is good for visibility.





When I pealed the film of the drivers side I could see it was flawed with a number of lines in it. Will have to contact the factory to get a replacement.

Just need to wait for the post man, hope he comes soon , it will probably be raining. 








2 comments:

  1. Rhett,

    what's tax band does a 2.0L Zetec? Are you going to post a video of the first "fully legal" blat?

    Jon H

    ReplyDelete
  2. £220 Tax and £55 registration. I didn't do the video I think I will save that for when its run in,

    Rhett

    ReplyDelete