Friday 30 March 2012

Build Day 77


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 228.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 253.5 hours.

Managed to grab a couple of hours. Concentrated on the interior and first started to put the rest of the carpets in place. I think there is carpet for all panels but I don't think I will bother with some of the panels.

Once I had an idea what needed to go where decided that before fixing I would secure the lower edges of the side interior panels, these needed to be drilled and riveted and without the carpet in place vacuuming the bits up is easier. Once these were in place I next made the holes in the transmission tunnel carpet for the lower harness mount points checking that I could start the thread the bolts in. 

With the passenger floor carpet in place I marked the positions of the seat mounting points from underneath, before drilling small holes. I then put Velcro across the front edge, put the cross section cover in place and put the carpet back in place. Using a screwdriver I confirmed the small holes were above the seat mounting points and then used a cone drill to enlarge the holes in the carpet to the size of the mounting holes. 

Next on the the passenger foot well. I removed the screws I had left in place for the foot brace and fastened a piece of carpet to the inner side of the transmission tunnel and trimmed and fitted a piece to the very end of the foot well before turning to the foot well bottom piece. With the carpet in place I used a small drill pushed up through the rivet nuts that will hold the foot brace to mark where I need to drill some small holes. Then before applying Velcro made the holes ready for securing the brace. 

Getting the holes lined up and screws through took quite a while and in the end I gave up, I need longer screws.  I just could not get them to bit with the carpet in place. I have had a hunt about and have some suitable screws so completing should be quite straight forward from this point. I found the best way to line up was to push a drill bit up through each of the rivet nuts (the drills for the rivets were just right) and then use these to line up the brace. Rather than trying to line the brace up with the holes using the screw from above.

I checked that the mount points for the harness were OK and I could thread a bolt in, only to find them all very tight with the outer drivers one very very tight. I decided to check with the factory that I had not missed something.

Very nearly there.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment