Thursday 29 March 2012

Build Day 76



Build time today 4.0 hours - Total build time 226.0 hours.
Man time today 4.0 hours - Total man time 251.5 hours.

First task was to continue to check the side light. There is a screw on top of the head lamp once removed the top tiles forward but I could not get the section off. Checked with the factory rather than risk damaging it and they confirmed it should lift out, the carbon effect lamps can be quite tight.
Once apart I found the bulb was OK and there was power to the holder. Much fiddling later I got a bulb that would remain alight.
When fitting the scuttle I had not sealed the bottom. Decided it would be sensible so loosened the mounting bolts and lifted the scuttle a little to allow me to silicon under. Dropped back down, secured and tidied any excess Silicon and the job was done.
Next on to connecting the repeat indicators. This involved cutting the nice connector blocks from the harness and replacing with crimp on spade connectors. I then spent a few minutes checking the indicator functions and all worked correctly.
Back to the interior.

I started with the tunnel carpet and worked out as well as possible where to cut the hole to allow the wiring loom to enter. Once cut tried to fit it in place. I then realized that it needed to slide further forward so the hole needed to be slightly further along and the rear bulk head carpet needed to be fitted first. Before I could do this I needed to start to fix the inner side panels, securing the rear sections with the small black rivets supplied.  Fitting the rear bulk head carpet was a little tricky as it needs to slide up into the tight space between the body work and aluminium panel. I used a couple of trowels to lift the  body work to allow the carpet to slide up into place.
Before fitting I put Velcro tape onto the back of the carpet leaving the panel side backing on, once in place I pulled the backing off to allow it to be fixed in place.



Back to the tunnel carpet, this now fitted OK with the hole for the wiring loom to enter in the correct place. I  now needed to locate the point where I had fixed the relays and the earth from the heated screen.
I relocated the headed screen earth point further towards the front of the tunnel allowing it to be hidden under the carpet. To locate the mount points for the relays I used a small rivet with the end cut off. I could slide it into the rivet nut with the point sticking out and then push the carpet down, it would then stick into the carpet allowing me to locate the correct point and drill a small hole. As with the rear carpet I fixed Velcro to the carpet leaving the tape on the aluminium side and fitted the carpet in place. Only when I was happy with the position did I lift and remove the tape allowing it to be secured in place.
As I was tidying up Tracy and Oli came out to have a look and asked about the gear knob. Which Oli quickly fastened in place.

Very nearly there.

No comments:

Post a Comment