Wednesday 14 March 2012

Build Day 63


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 177.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 202.5 hours.

Fuel filler fitted, just need some fuel.
Finished the fuel filler cap fitting. having cut the pipe I found I could not get it under the body work and over the tank entrance so trimmed a little more off, eventually I managed to get the pipe in place. It was then simple to fit the remaining parts.

I next had a look at shaping the covers for the roll bar plates. A bit of filling and they fit better, still not sure how I will cut the correct holes in the correct positions though. I will need to cut a hole for the roll bar and the mount for the harness. I suspect I may end up using carbon wrap to hide any sins.

To finish for the day I had a go at fitting the rear anti roll bar drop links. I thought it would be easier to at least fit the top links before the boot is fitted. I first tried to make sure they were the same length by counting the number of turns the locking screws make from each end, setting them to 5 at each end. I then attached one to each end of the bar and to stop it flapping about secured one end only to the lower wishbone. I need a little more information on setting them before tackling fully.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Rhett - Thanks for this build diary, it is a fabulous resource. Particularly as the Westfield manual is devoid of any detail for these stages! I am at this point with the fuel filler cap. Now that I have fixed my bodywork at the rear I can't fit the pipe from underneath either. :-( Did you just increase the size of the hole and fit the pipe from the top? Also, what connects the bottom of the pipe to the tank, does a jubillee clip go on? Appreciate any help you can give and am so jealous that you now have the finished article!! Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a reply but when checking the page again not sure if I replied or just added a comment, If I just added a comment it is on the blog, if it was a reply no harm done

      Delete
  2. Let me think,

    There should be two jubilee clips one goes around the top fixing the pipe to the filler cap the other the bottom to fix to the tank.

    It was difficult but I slid the section of connector pipe in between the body work and the tank to the left of the filler from the back. I had to prise the bodywork up a little to get it in.

    Once between the tank and the bodywork I again had to prize the body work up a little (basically pulling it up) so I could get the pipe over the inlet.

    I think (but would not swear to it) that I had the jubilee clips on the pipe before I started, lightly secured approx in the middle.

    I do remember that I had to trim the pipe a couple of times making it slightly shorter each time before I succeeded.

    Tightening the jubilee clips in place is also a little fiddly because once in place access is very restricted. I think I managed to secure with a long screwdriver angled in.

    If you are at he fuel filler stage then the end is in sight. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, will give it a go tomorrow. Have spent the day riveting the bottom of the side panels and trying to get the scuttle to fit better!! Once again, great blog - much appreciated. Andrew

    ReplyDelete