Wednesday 14 March 2012

Build Day 62


Build time today 3.0 hours - Total build time 175.0 hours.
Man time today 3.0 hours - Total man time 200.5 hours.

Reached the 200 hours mark today. Managed to pop into Westfield on way home and pick up some of the items I am waiting for plus got some answers to some questions.

First task was to finish the exhaust manifold. Correct procedure is to use a spring and normal washer under each stud. (didn't check the torque but subsequently got it confirmed at 25ft/lbs). Removing the two studs already inserted was not that easy though, eventually I found that a 5mm socket would fit over the end and allowed me to remove them. I could not find a torque setting and determined it to be between 20 and 25ft/lbs based on other fittings of the same of similar size. Decided to set to 20ft/lbs for the moment. (will need to torque to 25ft/lbs later).

I next had a go at fitting the battery, the basic fitting was fiddly but straight forward, fitting the retraining clamp was a different proposition though. I found out some M5 nuts and bolts and managed to get the front fitting started, I could not see how I was going to get the rear nut in place though. Eventually I decided to take a different approach and rather than using nuts and bolts decided to fit a couple of rivet nuts to the battery holder, the existing holes needed to be enlarge a little but it made the process much easier and will mean that taking it off in the future, should it be necessary will be more straight forward. It is not a tight fit though and could move a little so I will probably look to fit some foam padding to the retaining clamp to secure it firmly in place.

Next to the water temp sensor, knowing how this had caused some issues in the past I used a little WD40 to make sure it screwed in as easy as possible, it still tighten up very quickly and I was unsure it would fully seat, so I removed and added a couple of washers, it now seats nicely with the electrical terminal firmly held in place.

Next on to the wipers again, having checked with the factory they said it may be necessary to further trim the rubber collar that sits between the scuttle and fillet, plus looking at a car there I could see that there was silicon under the screen, though not necessary they said it was advisable as it stopped moister coming under the screen. I set about dismantling the wipers and looking at how much to remove. In the end I removed enough to make the rubber collar a triangle in shape, the piece I cut off I reused on the inside to keep the overall length the same. Even with this done I could not get the fillet to fit flush with the windscreen in the centre. Something I may have to look at again in the future. Once I was happy I sealed under the screen and re-assembled the wipers. I have not fitted the arms and wont until I have run the motor to be sure that they work and that they are in the correct stop position.

Next more work on the fuel filler. I had previously marked up where the hole needed to be cut so rigged up the vacuum to collect the dust and put an off cut on top of the tank to protect it  and proceeded to gut a circle of holes, before using my Dremel to enlarge the hole to the line. I then measured and marked up the tube that fits between the filler and tank ready for cutting.




No comments:

Post a Comment