Tuesday 14 February 2012

Build Day 44


Build time today 4.0 hours - Total build time 119.5 hours.
Man time today 4.0 hours - Total man time 136.0 hours.

Not totally sure what needs to be done next but I know there are various tasks that need to be completed to allow me to fully progress to fitting the body, complete the panelling (sides and transmission tunnel), make sure the panels are water tight, make a template for the exhaust outlet, fit the washer bottle, make more adjustments to the top scuttle, fit more of the coolant system...
I decided that I needed to get the panelling completed, so after fitting the panels to the top of the transmission tunnel (except the handbrake cover, just in case it needs some more adjustment). I then removed the film and tidied up the passenger area ready to make it water tight only to then run out of silicon sealant. I needed to get some more sealant before continuing so moved on to another task.
I spent more time arranging the coolant pipes but until the scuttle body panel is in place I know I can't complete fitting them so the only real progress I made was to attach the lower aluminium pipe to the chassis using a rivet nut and large P-clip.

It was then on to the washer bottle, the connector block on the harness is not the correct one for the supplied bottle so needed to be removed and new terminals added. While changing the connector terminals I shorted the wire to remove any unnecessary excess.








I then decided to have a go at making a bracket for the the oil catch can purchased off eBay, after a good degree of pondering I decided that the best place to fit was in front of the engine as there is plenty of space and reasonable access when needed. I decided to fabricate a bracket to fit to the chassis cross brace in front of the engine.  I cut two pieces of aluminium and bent the edges and riveting the corners to give it the necessary rigidity before attaching to the chassis using a couple of rivet nuts. It feels sturdy and is ready to have the tank attached once I have the necessary pipes.


To finish off for the day I made a further modification to the scuttle, it was fouling the engine management harness where it passes through the scuttle panel. I trimmed the return edge off the scuttle, though I suspect I may need to trim further. But I need to see where the panel will ultimately fit first which means the side panels need to be in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment