Sunday 5 February 2012

Build Day 41


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 113.5 hours.
Man time today 2.5 hours - Total man time 130.0 hours.

No pictures today, nothing much visible different.

Did not spend too much time today, to cold. I spent the early part of the day clearing snow from mine and my fathers drive. Then had a look at my daughters troublesome handsfree kit, it now seems to be working again having updated the software to the latest version. 

I first filled the gearbox with oil, a job I had been putting off, subconsciously I think, a little fiddly but not really taxing. Its a good job I had cut the access hole in the inner passenger foot well though. I removed the bolt from the fill hole and then using the flexible funnel filled the gear box with oil. Once on to the second litre I took it a little more cautiously as I did not want oil every where. I had spread some plastic and news papers under the area to catch any excess, this did help. Once oil started to spill I quickly removed the funnel and inserted the plug, and mopped up any spilled oil. Once complete I secured the cover I had made having applied a little sealant.  

Next I started on the brakes, this was a job I was not particularly looking forward to having ready quite a few blogs that reported how tricky it was, again a job I had been avoiding. I had purchased a brake bleed tube with a non-return valve from eBay which I hopped would make the job a little easier (it did).
I starting with the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. The rear brake calipers have four bleed nipples on them and I a not totally sure if you need to bleed all four, for the moment I have just used the outer two, (top and bottom). The fronts have two on the upper side so I used both of these. (I think another email for confirmation to Westfield is needed)
So far I have been round twice leaving the pedal depressed while waiting on each until the bubbles stopped. It was a bit of a laborious task by my self because you need to be able to see the pipe while pressing the pedal which is not all ways that easy, once Oli came out it was a little easier. To keep the pedal compressed I used a quick clamp, set to spread rather than clamp, I have left it depressed and will have another go tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment