Saturday 4 February 2012

Build Day 40



Build time today 3.0 hours - Total build time 111.5 hours.
Man time today 3.0 hours - Total man time 127.5 hours.

Yet more time spent on the wiring. The wire entry point for the engine management loom to behind the dash needed attention. There is no supplied dung/grommet for this and Westfield recommendation had been to tape over the hole.  I decided on a different approach. I first put some plastic ducting around the wires to protect them from rubbing against the panel edge then I set about making a plat to fit snugly around the ducting. To achieve this I cut a square from some spare aluminium panel and then drilling a hole in the centre as close to the size of the duct as possible. I then cut the panel in two so that it could be fitted around the duct. For extra protection I used a couple of standard house wiring grommets cut and glued to each half of the plate. To secure the plate I used rivet nuts inserted in the top scuttle panel and a little silicon sealant for extra protection.




Next on to securing the relays and engine management control box, rather than just using Velcro I decided to use screws and nuts for the relays and an aluminium securing strap for the control module.  To minimize the intrusion into the passenger area the screw heads are on the lower side of the panel. I also needed to trim the excess thread from the screws holding the relays as they were fouling the relay preventing it being replaced.
I added a couple of cable tie anchors to the trailing edge of the scuttle panel. I did not need to drill any new holes as they could be held by the existing screws.






To finish for the day I decided to complete the fuel system, and re-attach air intake pipe. I carefully routed the pipe and cut to length, covered with split trunking before securing in place.
I had noticed on the Westfield demo car that the fuel lines were secured to to a mounting point on the air induction system, which is what I have also done using a couple of cable tie anchors and an M5 screw.

The water system is next, I understand where every thing is routed but one of the fixed aluminium pipes fouls the front anti roll bar, I have checked with Westfield and it needs to be bent slightly to avoid this. They said heat is needed and I need to be careful not to kink the pipe. I tried to heat up the pipe using a paint stripping heat gun,  I am not sure if this is enough and will get clarification before trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment