Friday 3 February 2012

Build Day 38 Part 2



Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 106.5 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 123.5 hours.


I first re-assembled the lower steering column having got some longer bolts from Westfield. I really want to get the wiring tidies so I can secure and forget, I know this is an area that needs some diligence if you want to get through the IVA test so I hope to do it justice. The work previously done had almost got it to the point where I was satisfied, only time will tell what the IVA inspector with think though. The main area I was unhappy with was where the different looms connected where there are several individual unprotected wires.
Induction system removed

Getting at them with the engine in place wasdifficult so I decided to remove the air induction system to allow access. very simple to remove and put to one side. (though I had no intention of leaving it off for any length of time).
Once the induction system was out of the way I could get enough access to the wires to cable wrap and tidy them up.
I basically disconnected all the plugs and taped or cable wrapped all the loose unprotected wires before re-connecting the looms I carefully check the routing to make sure that it was as smooth as possible.






Wires taped and with cable wrap applied
the offending wires before action



















Wires more or less in place and starting to be secured


Once the wires were taped or wrapped and more or less in place I re-attached the air intake system before finishing for the day. this left me a couple of earth cables to sort out and secure before I was hopefully ready to fully secure the main section of the wiring loom.

The wiring has taken quite a lot of time, had I understood exactly what needed to go where before the engine was installed it would have been much more straight forward, but without detailed knowledge knowing the correct amount of wire to leave loose and where exactly to route would have not been possible. Perhaps next time!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment