Thursday 2 February 2012

Build Day 38 Part 1


Build time today 0.5 hours - Total build time 104.5 hours.
Man time today 0.5 hours - Total man time 121.5 hours.

Westfield visited again today to look at the broken oil sensor plug, they had an idea how to rectify the issue without having to remove the engine. (See Build Day 31/32) The issue initial idea was to use a tap to fully thread the plug/sleeve so that the sender would then screw in. I would not be able to remove the sleeve but I guess that would not be too much of an issue. Trouble was that once the tap bit it started to screw the sleeve in more. It did prove the the sleeve was free though and therefore it should be possible to extract with the appropriate extractor, they said they would be back in ten minutes, so I left the garage open and went back in the house to put the kettle on and to continue working. Probably no more that 15 to 20 minutes later the door bell went again, they had returned and the sleeve had been removed. Problem resolved, I could now see what the issue was. I had never inspected the inside of the sleeve, I had just assumed that the oil pressure sender would screw fully in, in reality there was not a lot of thread, my false assumption together with the tightness of the fitting, plus the lack of specific details in the guide led to the breakage.
Westfield are sorting out a replacement, they said there are two types, the one I had plus one that does not required the sleeve, they would try and sort out the latter.
With this sorted I can progress with the knowledge that the engine won't have to come out again. (not during the build anyway).
I can't emphasis enough how helpful Westfield are when needed, in some-ways I expected the guide to be more detailed and I know that they are working on a much improved guide process, but I know that once completed the satisfaction and understanding will be all the greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment