Thursday 2 February 2012

Build Day 37


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 104.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 120.5 hours.

A productive evening, I have the screws I needed so completed the fitments of the gear lever gaiter and the rear lights

I swapped the temporary M4 counter sunk screws holding the securing ring for pan head screws and tightened the ring down. Once secure I then trimmed the excess rubber. The panel is ready to fit when access is no longer needed to the transmission tunnel.












Next on to the rear light clusters, I already had the holes drilled in the body work it was a matter of just attaching the units. The reflectors went straight on with no issues, as I was screwing in to plastic I applied a little nut lock to each screw before inserting to help secure them. Even having purchased 16mm screws they were a little long so I trimmed each by about 5mm before using them to secure the combined stop and tail light unit, otherwise I would have run to the bottom of the hole. Again I used a little nut lock to help secure the screws in place.
Before finishing for the evening I had a look at the wiring, the indicator, reverse and fog light had wires to be fitted, these fitted to the back of the unit and were reasonably obvious as to how to fit. looking at the wiring diagram and the wires at the back of the car it was a little less obvious. On each rear corner of the car there is a 6 (only 5 connections) way and 2 way connector block. Each had one black wire, which I assumed to be an earth. The two way connections I assumed to be the reversing and fog lamps (now confirmed by Westfield), I also noticed that there was a wire with the same colour combination in the main block on the other side of the car (this is for left hand drive cars). There was no indication as to which wire did what so will need to confirm with Westfield. (Details on what wires are what for the rear and front lights have now been supplied)

No comments:

Post a Comment