Monday 30 January 2012

Build Day 35


Build time today 5.0 hours - Total build time 97.5 hours.
Man time today 5.0 hours - Total man time 114.0 hours.

In some ways a long weekend without to much to show for it, the main task for the weekend was to get the wiring loom tidied up ready to permanently secure to the chassis. Intermixed with the efforts to get the wiring neat and tidy I undertook a few other tasks.

I started by finishing the gear stick section of the transmission tunnel, I had already marked up the centre point. I had purchased a 79mm hole cutter from an eBay seller, close enough to the 80mm required, so cutting the hole was a quick and easy task. Once the hole was cut I then lined it up on the tunnel, there was quite a bit of overlap on each edge, so I marked it form underneath and trimmed the edges to fit. I then drilled some fixing holes down each edge, marked them on the chassis and drilled and fitted some rivet nuts ready for a more permanent attachment. I had learned from Westfield that the supplied gaiter needed trimming. There is a large flange that runs around the underside, this is not required so I cut it off. The gaiter is fixed using an aluminium ring, I inserted rivet nuts into the panel to allow the ring to be secured. I only had countersunk screw and have ordered some dome headed screws to permanently secure.

I had picked up an aluminium panel from Westfield specifically designed to cover the holes in the back panel where inertia real seat belts are in use. I really wanted to secure this on the outer side of the panel plus I was not happy with the routing of the full tank sender wire so I decided to remove the fuel tank to allow the wire to be routed behind it fastened to the chassis. A bit of a fiddly job as access to the inner tank strap nuts is a little tight but once the straps were removed the tank could be moved out of the way without having to remove the fuel pipes. this allowed me to rivet on the panel and re-route and secure the cable.





I then decided to cable wrap and re-route the cables to the inertia cut off switch and fuel pump. I am much happier with the new routing and the cable is now properly protected.

Having spent much of the day fiddling with the wiring loom around the engine bay and forward section of the transmission tunnel I decided that the best approach would be to pull the engine management loom back through and start again. Once the engine management loom was out of the way it was more straight forward to tidy up the other wires, I finished the day by starting to re insert the engine management harness, making sure that the wires were running neat and tidy.and using either electrical tape of loosely tightened cable ties to bundle wires together.







No comments:

Post a Comment