Saturday 24 December 2011

Build Day 19


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 63.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 76.0 hours.

Fuel filter mounted
(it does not touch the diff)
A few more hours on the fuel system, got the fuel filter and fuel pump attached. The build guide is a little vague  as to exactly where to attach, it gives a general indication but no specifics, so after much pondering I finally decided on the exact locations. Can't say it was easy marking and drilling the chassis from underneath. Could have done with creating the mounting holes when the car was upside down or on its side. There is no chance of moving the car now as the rear is heavy, I suspect I will need to lower using the engine crane. Nevertheless the filter and pump were mounted after a bit of fiddling and perseverance.
Fuel pump mounted





Next to attach the pipes the guide says to use spiral wrap where the pipes can touch the frame as there isn't any large enough for the 1/2" pipe I had to improvise. I knew I had some caravan waste pipe somewhere from my Caravanning days (Yes I know, caravans, bane of everyone's life, hold you up pottering down the road, I doubt you ever got stuck be hind me though, I was normally stuck behind some one else pottering down the road, and where possible I would leave a gap between me and the car in front to allow faster cars to pass.) Once found it was simple to cut it down its length turning it into a protective wrap. I will probably need to change the routing a little, the main pipe from the tank to the pump is not correct and needs to miss the fuel line. I guess it will all need to be reviewed again once on it's wheels.
View of pump and filter

Main fuel line from tank to pump
Needs to be changed to miss the brake line






Need to get a hoist ordered tomorrow as I now realize I am running out of pre-engine tasks.


No comments:

Post a Comment