Friday 23 December 2011

Buid Day 18


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 61.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 74.0 hours.

An evening spent on the fuel system at the rear of the car.

4" bolt in rear mounting that is too short
Firstly I had managed to pop in to Westfield to get a couple of 4" bolts that the build guide says are needed to fix the tank mounting bracket to the top wishbone mounts. Even that was a close call as they were stock taking and would not be supplying/shipping anything until the new year, they did supply the bolts thought thankfully.

I swapped my inserting a shorter bolt in the nut end to push the existing bolt out then pushing the new longer ones back the other way, therefore keeping everything lined up. Did the front bolts first and they fitted a treat but to my horror when I changed the rears they were a little too short, meaning the thread lock on the lock nut would not catch. Fantastic I thought I need to try and pop in tomorrow and hope I can get a couple of 4 1/4" bolts with the hope that I could get there before they closed and that they would swap them if the stock check was still going on. Never mind must carry on and if necessary I can swap at a latter date.

4" bolt in front mounting looks long enough to me
I then proceeded to locate more of the fuel system components: - tank; tank straps; fuel pump; fuel filter; various pipes brackets and clamps. Reading the guide it says that the tank straps and frame need some sticky backed foam applying, so I hunted for and found it in the box I had put items that I considered would be needed much later on: wing mirrors, screen mountings, wipers, IVA kit etc  Also in the bag were some long bolts 4 1/2" plus the correct number of M6 nuts, bolts and washers for the tank straps. One of the real issues is correctly identifying which bags of parts are for what purpose. I know they are working on improving this and for future builders it should make the process less frustrating. Quickly swapped the 4" bolts for the 4 1/2" and issue sorted.




4 1/2" bolt in rear mounting 
Fuel tank fitted

















Right now on to fitting the tank I now had all the parts assemble, I think, and ready. Fitting the tank was not too difficult. Just needed to line up the tank straps and drill 6 mm holes in the appropriate places. I just lined them up so that they would fit in such a way that then end of the strap lined up with the bottom of the mounting bracket. The bolts at the rear are pre attached to the frame so it is just a matter of lining up by feel getting the front bolts through and getting the nuts to catch is more difficult as there is quite a gap and it would have been useful to have an extra pair of hands. Oli was out so I persevered with a clamp and pair of mole grips. At last a fitted tank.

Fuel system components assembled ready for fitting
I then started to assemble the remaining bits reading and re-reading the guide until clear what needs to be done. I managed to get the rubber cover over the fuel pump after several attempts and liberal use of spit on the inside.
Fitting the filter and pump are next. More chassis drilling required to mount them on the underside of the car. Glad the car is still on the stands though I expect it is getting heavy and may be difficult to lower to the ground. Guess I may be able to use the Engine Crane, when hired perhaps next weekend, to assist with lowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment