Saturday 24 December 2011

Build Day 20



Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 65.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 78.0 hours.

Got another couple of hours in today, it is Christmas Eve. 

Finished off the fuel system at the rear, re routed the pipe from the tank to the pump so that it is well away from the brake pipes then fitted the return feed. 




The next thing to do is fit the speed sensor. According to the guide there are two types, VDO and Smith white faced. Out with the box containing the gauges, they are black faced but don't appear to be VDO and the sensor looks more like the one in the Smiths picture and fitting instructions. The VDO fits to a bracket by the right diff output the Smiths a bracket by the right front brake disk. The unit is too small to fit in the hole by the diff supporting the theory it isn't VDO. Trouble is I can't find a bracket to fit by the front right brake disc either. Never mind put every thing back in the box. I will have to confirm with the factory in the new year.

Now on the top searing column, instructions very straight forward, basically it should involve put in place and bolting top and bottom. Not quite so easy in practice as there is no hole in the foot well panel. I got the column lined up as best as I could and marked the centre point, I then drilled a small hole from the inside and then using a 38mm hole saw (smallest I had that was bigger than the required 32mm for the column) I then drilled back at, what I hoped was, the correct angle. Then after filling the rough edges fitted the column. I soon realised that the bolts I had were not quite the correct length, a quick look at the steering rack confirmed I had used the wrong ones there. I guess I used ones that were too long as I had trouble getting them to fit and needed as much length as possible to get the nut to bite on the bolt. I quickly swapped them and re-torqued the steering rack. Now just to tighten them up on the column. For the moment I had got them just tight enough to hold it in place, there is quite a bit of movement and I will tighten once I am sure the column is correctly positioned.







Just the water bottle to fit and prop shaft before the engine goes in, these can wait otherwise I'll have nothing to do. The engine crane has been booked for next weekend. I did a bit of tidying before finishing for the day taking time to vacuum up the bits from inside the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment