Wednesday 21 December 2011

Build Day 17



Build time today 2.5 hours - Total build time 59.0 hours.
Man time today 2.5 hours - Total man time 72.0 hours.



Evening of bits and bobs, started by finishing off the top scuttle panel area and preparing for the footrest in the passenger foot well. Completed the rivet nut insertion, if there is a knack to inserting rivet nuts I'm not sure I have it yet as I managed to bend another rivet nut mandrel, better order another spare. Though when fitting the 5mm aluminium rivet nuts for the foot brace they seemed to go in much easier.






Next I cable ties the wiring at the rear of the car and part way down the tunnel, followed by the slow task of filling the differential with oil, Becki popped into Halfords for me and purchased a funnel with a flexible neck which helped considerably. Not knowing how much oil to add makes it a little difficult so I arranged some plastic and used one of the protective plastic ends that I had removed from the drive shafts to catch any spillage. Once oil started to poor at the filling hole I stopped and put the plug back in. It took quite a while to poor in, must check to see how much is expected to go in.

Next attached the hand brake cables to the callipers, with a couple of 5mm bolts and lock nuts. Still not convinced all is correct with the hand brake.

 
















Now at last back on to the fuel supply. First attached and wired up the inertia switch, says to use a couple of M5x16mm bolts and lock nuts, couldn't find any so used a couple that I already had.

Now on to the tank. I remember seeing something in the FW body work section an the tank so its time to use the two guides again. The tank in the FW fits over the dif on a special tray attached to the upper wish bone mounts. It says I need to replace the standard bolts with 4" bolts, I know I haven't got any as I needed a couple to fit the upper wishbone to the upright and had to collect a couple from the factory. Looks like another visit before Christmas or I'll be a little stuck for a while. Still I took the nuts off and pulled the bolts back a little so I could get the tray in place. Just need to swap the bolts for the longer ones and re-attach the nuts, which won't take long.
Put the tank in place to see how it fits, quite straightforward, but I'll call it a night and leave it there.





No comments:

Post a Comment