Saturday 17 December 2011

Build Day 15


Build time today 5.0 hours - Total build time 51.5 hours.
Man time today 7.0 hours - Total man time 64.5 hours.

Now I have the missing lock nuts I started by completing the steering rack. Had a slight hitch but having spoke to someone at the factory they pointed me in the correct direction. Started with the left side and had no issues, but with the right hand side when I tried to tighten down the steering arm the the track rod end the rod pin just kept turning the left had tightened without doing anything. The factory said that the rod pin needed to be held and recommended turning the turning the track rod end with a spanner so that it gripped the rod pin allowing the nut to be tighten on. With the pin held it went on without any trouble. leaving 5 threads exposed on the track rod end meant that the front wheels look to have too much toe out so I reduced it to 4 threads, still looks to be to much but I will leave any further adjustment until it is sitting on wheels.





Then back on the fitting the wiring loom, I firstly attached the fuse holders, I had marked up the wires as directed but when I started to detach them I realized that they were individual wires and I had only marked one side, this meant that it would be easy to mix up the some of the wires. I stopped detaching and market up both side. As I had detached a couple of wires that were not marked I will contact the factory to confirm that I have them in the correct order. Once fasted I then proceeded to put the wires that fit behind the dash through the second hole in the top scuttle panel. I started with the wires furthest from the grommet but got stuck when it came to put through the relay units as they would not fit through. I had to pull the wires back through and push the relays through first. This method worked OK and the top scuttle panel is not in position but not yet attached.


Top scuttle panel in place
(not attached though)
Fuses attached and relays pushed through ready for
the rest of the dash wiring


Differential in place.
What an effort
Now back to fitting the diff. This is a two man job and I was assisted by Oli. Not an easy task getting the holes lined up and washers in place was tricky. At one point I thought I was going to have to contact the factory as I could not get the top right bolt to catch. We even took the diff out and tried the bolts in isolation without issue, from this we determined that it was not an issue with the diff. I read the guide again and it listed attaching the top bolts before the bottom bar, we had put the bottom bar through first because it seemed easier to get it in a through to support the weight. Having removed the bottom bar I persevered with the top right bolt, it eventually caught and could be tightened. I then had to jiggle the diff about to get the bottom bar back through with the correct washers in place. Once done it was a matter of attaching the rear brace bar and torquing every thing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment