Tuesday 29 November 2011

Build Day 4

Build time today 2.5 hours - Total build time 13 hours.
Man time today 3.5 hours - Total man time 20.5 hours.

Bit of a frustrating evening, I was going to continue with the pedals, the brake pedal being next, only to find that I could not locate the nuts and bolts to attach the master cylinder. Looked every were and could not locate them.

I think the 120 hours quoted for build time is somewhat optimistic, purhasps that exludes the thinking and reading time requried.

Oli arrived to help so we started on the front suspension. He just wants to get on with it and I explained that he needed to look through the section first, assemble the components and fittings before he starts. Left him pulling the parts together while I had tea. When I returned he had a fair collection of items and we soon found the remaining items. I left him to start assembling the fron suspension while I looked at the front anti roll bar section, It soon became apparent that this was quite complex and it also replaces some of the fixings for the standard suspension. I reminded Oli of this and said to only lightly tighten up the nuts, and to leave the upper wishbones until I understood what was needed.

Oli got the bottom wishbones in place when it was time for him to disappear to meet up with his friends, leaving me to ponder the instructions on my own.

Looking through the component list I soon realized that there were some items missing and some I believe to be the wrong size. I tried to lay everything out and match it up to the item list in the manual, marking off what I had and what was missing ready for a factory visit.

Using two manuals to try and assemble all the front suspension
and front anti roll bar parts

Once I had established there were items missing and an idea of what they were I carried on with the bits I had. In the end after much tooing, froing and pondering over differnet bolt lenghts I managed to get the wishbones attached and the first parts of the anti roll bar kit fitted. Not a vast amount of progress for the time spent.

Front suspension started
The picture above shows the passenger side wishbones with the brace supplied with the anti rollbar kit attached between the upper wishbone front mount points and (I think its called) the bell crank for the anti rollbar between the rears. You can also see a couple of clamps securing the chassis to the stand, without them it tends to slide accross the stands. I think I may try and lift it off and wrap to stand tops in tape.

I really must try and pop into the factory to sort out the missing items.

Update, just found a picture I took of a partly built car at the factory and it looks to also have the front anti rollbar partly fitted and from that I can see that I have not fully understood the instuctions. A bit of re-assemply will be required tomorrow, though I am sure re-assembly is something I will get used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment