Monday 21 May 2012

Build Day 88/IVA Update


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 257.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 286.0 hours.

IVA not quite there yet. 

I travelled with Oli with Becki following a little later with a box of tools etc.

First time I have driven on the road
I knew I had one issue on the way, the speedo was way out based upon the SAT Nav, tester said one of the first tests was the speed, I explained that I knew it was out and that my daughter was following in a while with a box of tools and she also had the instructions for setting the speedo. He explained how they were test the calibration and then we hit the first snag, as the measure is on the front they have no way of accurately measuring. Oh my god, emotions overload, frustation, anger, wonderment. Straight on the phone to Westfield, passed Mark over to the tester Keith and it looked like there may be a way forward, they would fax of a doc which should cover it.

From this point it went better, opened the bonnet and he complemented me on the quality of the build. On to the various tests, emissions ok, projetions looking ok, until he came to the RAC Rollover bar. it failed, said there were some sharp edges that need to be covered. Back on the phone and Mark explained what was needed. A little bit of edging on the edges, trouble was I had no spare, it had all been used, he was very helpful though and pointed out some edging that could be removed without it being an IVA issue. I loosened the top nut an bolt and then used the washer to pinch the edging to hold in place, not elegant, but he said that from the quality of the build he knew I would sort it properly. So a pass on projections.

Next on to the brakes all looked ok.

Right tests the lights, first issue was the passenger side light was not coming on. A quick check and it turned out to be a loose connection so sorted. Now the rear lights. Issue, interference between indicator an stop tail on the passenger side.  Probably an earth issue and I could have a look while on the ramps.

Mirrors, noise and steering all ok.

Up on to the ramp. More complimentary comments, "better put together than a factory car", then spotted another minor issue. The bolts attaching the hand brake were not quite long enough the nylock nut was not catching well enough. If this was the only issue I could have resolved one way or another on site. I had a bag of various nuts and bolts, plus there was a Screwfix opposite so I'm sure it could have been resolved, but with the electrical issue I decided to leave it. I had look at the tail lamp wiring but there was nothing obvious. 

So almost but not quite. I said I would get it sorted as soon as I got home, He said if I could get back in time he would check it again (as a retest) and he finished at 16:30. 

Off home, nice drive back, not as nice as it could have been and straight into the garage. Speedo was now spot on based upon the sat nav. Weather is lovely, just the sort of day for this type of car, almost worth the couple of weeks wait to be able to got to the test on a day like this.

First I removed the boot liner. It was riveted in so I had to drill the rivets out, this let me get a the tail wiring much easier. I had already decided I would remove the boot at some point to replace the rivets with rivet nuts. 

Then to cut the sheathing from the wiring, in the end I worked out I had got the indicator wires the wrong way round so the indicator live was feeding the tail and stop lamp earths. A stupid mistake and I am not sure how I missed it as I am sure I had tested and looked at the lights. Morale is check, check and check again, then get someone to help you check. Re testing was not easy by my self, I ended up finding a long length or wood to press the brake pedel while stood behind the car.

Next up to Westfield to get a couple of longer screws, then a quick job to swap the bolts for the longer one. Boot is now back in place secured with rivet nuts so it can be removed when needed.

Left a message for Keith at VSOA but all being well it should get a pass later. Just finishing my lunch, which I started when I got back from the test center.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations - just in time for the good weather

    ReplyDelete