Tuesday 27 March 2012

Build Day 74


Build time today 3.0 hours - Total build time 214.0 hours.
Man time today 3.0 hours - Total man time 244.5 hours.

Managed to pop into Westfield to get, what I hope is, the last lot of advice.

When I got home I set about modifying the wipers. I had two options, it seems that there are two stop points the motor can use and depending upon which is set the rotators need to be in the correct position. I could either alter the stop position on the motor or take the rotator arms apart and reverse them. I started on the motor but realized it was not going to be easy to get it out so decided to rotate the rotators. Even with them now in the new position and the park point on the correct side I am not happy with the fitting. The rotator seem to come out the the body work to steeply but I can't find a method of altering the angle.  Another question for Westfield (not the last after all) but they will pass for the moment so it is something that can be tackled once on the road, not that I plan to drive in the rain.

Next on to replacing the temporary headlamp bolt with the correct bolt and washer from Westfield. Simple job.

Now on to the cycle wing. I needed to get the centre line on the inside of the wings marked accurately, after some though I decided to cut a piece of stiff card at 99mm to give me a reference and used masking take down the centre to draw the line on. Once done it was a matter of removing the wheel placing the cycle wing in place and lining up, checking all the reference points and checking again and again. Eventually when happy that they were all correct and had not moved, the slightest movement could cause the whole wing to shift, I marked the front points and drilled the holes. Then with the front holes secured I marked and drilled the rears.

Now on to fitting. I decided to use some additional washers between the support brackets and wings to keep them clear as the profile of the wing was not quite the same as the bracket and I did not want them to be pulled out of shape when the bolts were tighten. The additional washers did make fitting a little more tricky but nevertheless they went together OK. I had not particularly planned to but while the wheel was off I decided to fit the repeat indicators. I pushed the cable through the sturdy cable protector supplied, stuck the indicator on and fed the wire through under the cycle wing securing to the bracket and upper wishbone.

I put the wheel back on spun it to check it was not fouling any thing only for it to make a noise, realized I had not trimmed the cable ties, so off with the wheel again to trim the cable ties.

One Cycle wing completed, hopefully the next will be quicker.


No comments:

Post a Comment