Tuesday 6 March 2012

Build Day 58



Build time today 3.0 hours - Total build time 160.0 hours.
Man time today 3.0 hours - Total man time 182.5 hours.

Managed to pop into Westfield on the way home. They quickly sorted out the wiper part and swapped for one about to be fitted. We measured the spacing between the harness mounts and I now have them noted on a piece of paper in the garage. The recommendation from one of the engineers was to drill a pilot hole upwards through the outer mount, to achieve this the top shock absorber bolt needs to loosened as moved out of the way, then use a taper drill to increase the size of the hole until it was the correct size, using a taper drill should also enable the hole to be centred correctly. I will need to get a taper drill.

When I got home I had a go at completing the wiper motor and even the replacement was a little too long requiring it to be bent to fit. Soon done though. I also changed the fittings holding the heater and wiper motor for some collected from Westfield of the correct length. This simple job was slowed considerably by the failure of my 1/4" ratchet failing to ratchet when tightening. More shopping required. 

Before taking the scuttle off though I checked to make sure that the panels were in line with the bonnet and in a couple of places used to spacers to keep the panels in line. The side panels are now fixed along the top edge and the scuttle secured in place.

With the scuttle in place I completed attaching the cooling system attaching the pipes to the heater, a quick job as the pipes had already been cut to length.

I thought I would carry on with the harnesses using the technique recommended so I loosened the top shock absorber fastening and slid it out of the way before drilling a small hole up through each outer harness mount point. Once done they were re-secured and torqued to the correct settings.

A bit of vacuuming up bits and fibreglass dust and that was it for the evening, the taper drills are needed before continuing with the mountings.

No comments:

Post a Comment