Sunday 19 February 2012

build day 48


Build time today 5.0 hours - Total build time 133.0 hours.
Man time today 5.0 hours - Total man time 151.0 hours.

Started the day by tackling the exhaust outlet in the side panel, A job that made me somewhat nervous. Using the guide supplied I carefully marked out where the hole needed to be cut. (I have added the measurements to the first picture) I measured three or four times to be sure. I then thought about the best method of cutting the hole. The advice was to cut a hole in each corner (with a hole cutter if I had one) and then either using a hacksaw blade or Dremel type tool finish the cut. I first cur a hole in the centre to make sure that it would not split or cause excessive chipping before cutting each corner, trimming the excess and then sanding smooth.





































Initially I thought the hole looked a little larger but once the side panel is in place I realized that it needed to be like that to allow room for the exhaust to be positioned.








I then proceed to look at completing the coolant pipe fitting and worked out where to secure the non-flexible pipes. I had been supplied with two spacers but wanted an additional spacer to allow the pipes to be secured at both ends, plus could not find any screws or bolts suitable. I had rivet nuts so decided to ask when I visited Westfield next.

As I was working in that area I then had a look at how the heater fitted, so hunted out the various bits and pieces, the holes are already drilled in the top scuttle so I lined up the heater with the holes and checked how the attached pipes fitted, both seemed a little long so I measured and trimmed to make them fit better. In doing this I also realize that I had been given an excess item. bonded on to the bottom of the top scuttle is a black fibreglass section used to duct hot air to the windscreen (you can see one of the inlets in the picture). Even though this was fitted (thank god) I also had the item so decided to return it. I had also noticed I had a number plate mounting which I assumed was surplus to requirements so decided this could also be returned.

I decided as I needed a couple of items and had some to return another visit was in order. So armed with my items to return and a small shopping list I visited the helpful people at Westfield again.  They accepted the returned heater outlet saying that it used to be a requirement to fit oneself and still is on some kits. But I would need the number plate fitting for the IVA test, the regulations now say that a full side number plat fitting is required that allows for the GB Euro identifier. I picked up an extra spacer and a couple of M6 bolts to attach the coolant pipes to the chassis.
Armed with this parts I then set about fully securing the coolant pipes. I had decided to fasten the larger pipe to the diagonal cross chassis braces front and rear, the small pipe could be secured at the same point at the rear but needed to be secured to the vertical plane of the chassis rail at the front, drilling the hole and securing a rivet nut for this mount point took a lot of time, I wanted to be sure to firmly mount the pipe hear using a spacer to help keep the flexible pipe away from the block securing the front anti-roll bar.

I finished the day by drilling the pedal cover and filling off the raised lettering on the wing mirrors so I could apply some carbon fibre wrap I have purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment