Tuesday 24 January 2012

Build Day 33


Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 90.5 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 107.0 hours.

Managed to pop into Westfield, most of the issues weren't a concern the broken oil pressure sender plug was though. The bush the engine mount sits on is easy to remove and replace and a new one was supplied there and then, the missing nut will be easy to replace and they found out what they thought may be correct (wasn't has it happens), they will sort out a replacement plug for the incompatible fitting. The plug would need some thought though and they would get back to me.

Engine mount minus
Bush
damaged and undamaged bush




When I got home the first task was to replace the engine mounting bush, I loosened the left hand fitting and found a large block of wood to support the engine while I used a trolley jack to lift it clear. No problem and quickly sorted.





I then proceeded to generally start to tidy up the wiring making sure that everything was routed consistently so that it could be gathered together with cable ties when ready.
Before attaching the starter motor I decided to check the exhaust in position to confirm its routing and where to avoid, It passes close to the starter motor so the wires will need to tucked towards the back of the car. I then attached the starter motor, I first cable wrapped the loose cables to give them added protection then attached the cables (the red/white cable from the engine harness goes to the smaller of the terminals the double brown and single brown from the engine harness plus the large red positive cable attach to the larger terminal, the other end of the cable attaches to the battery)









I next sorted out the negative battery terminal, I attached the other end to the chassis using the front centre brake line mounting point.






Last job for the evening was the alternator, I again cable wrapped the loose cable before securing. (double brown cable from the engine harness to the B+ terminal and the brown & yellow engine harness wire to the D+ terminal).

I will try and make sure any wires not secured to a chassis rail have additional protection.

A reasonably productive evening, even if there is not too much visible to show for it, I still have the worry of sorting out the oil sensor plug but I am sure Westfield will come up with a solution. I guess I may well learn something new soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment