Wednesday 11 January 2012

Build Day 28

Build time today 2.0 hours - Total build time 80.0 hours.
Man time today 2.0 hours - Total man time 96.5 hours.

I had decided that the cable to the fuel tank sender seemed a little vulnerable so had ordered some additional spiral cable wrap, I spent the first part of the evening wrapping this wire up and re-attaching.

I then moved on to completing the lower steering column, I had marked the stay and the chassis the previous day so proceeded to cut the stay and drill the holes. Drilling the hole for the stay on the inner chassis member was going to prove a little more difficult though as I could not get a drill in from above. I had to use a square to remark the hole position on the lower side of the chassis and drill from below. Once I had the inner hole drilled I then put the stay in place and marked the outer hole, thankfully I could get at this hole from above. It was then a matter of drilling some holes for the rivets for the cable tie mounts which I could drill from above with the assistance of a flexible drill shaft and fitting it all together. It looks like the bolts supplied are too short though (M8x35mm Allen bolts) as they lock nuts can't tighten to the point the lock part comes into play, will email Westfield for advice. I left it all in position but loose, hopefully it will be a matter of just swapping the bolts for longer ones. I did make sure they were all accessible though, to do this I needed to move the steering, so using a stilson tried to rotate the steering, it would not move, I thought my go the steering is going to be heavy, until it occurred to me the steering lock was on. Once freed the steering move OK.

I then proceeded to fit the fuel tank breather cable, it did not really explain what to do with it in the guide so had clarification from the factory, it needs to be fitted to the tank and run down the rear chassis towards the bottom left hand corner. fitted, cut and clipped in place, being careful not to pull the clips to tight.









I finished the evening by wrapping the rear speed sensor plug on the wiring loom in insulating tape and tucking it away. The clocks I have require the sender to be fitted to the front right upright rather than next to the diff so I thought I would tidy away and insulate the excess plug and wires.



No comments:

Post a Comment