Sunday 27 November 2011

Build Day 2


Build time today 3.5 hours - Total build time 8.5 hours.
Man time today 5.5 hours - Total man time 14 hours.


Another slow start, bit or work around the house then out to look to see if something can be done with the broken flexible drill shaft. Had an bit of an idea but a few broken hacksaw blades later gave up.  When I had a chance to experience the drift car at the Exeter kit car show it stuck me that it really needed a passenger foot brace,  this is something I will sort out at a later date but to allow this I have decided to use rivnuts to secure the top panel so it can be removed at a later date. I therefore also need to sort out some appropriate screws so logged on to Screwfix to see what they had and to see if they had a flexible drill shaft in stock at a local store. They did so I ordered one and a few other bits and pieces part for collection part for delivery. Got to the checkout and then had issues with the website, a long phone call later and finally got the order sorted. Then off to the local branch to collect. 

I have also sorted out the missing panel, looking through the manual and some pictures I took at the factory of a partially built car I realised that the inner driver foot well panel was a different colour, I remembered when I was sorting through the delivery seeing a plastic panel in a bag with some of the clutch pits, at the time I put it down as packaging. It turns out to be the missing bit.


Passenger foot well panel and driver panel
The drivers panel is black plastic rather than aluminium
As there are no pre-drilled hoes in the drivers foot well panel I used the passenger panel as a template.


Driver panel with holes 

As Oli was having a driving lesson I got started by myself, the Screwfix flexible drill shaft seems to have worked much better than previous once. Once Oli returned from his driving lesson we worked as a team and have now completed drilling and de-burring all the holes for the remaining panels, including drilling larger holes for the rivnuts ready for the top panel. Rather than drilling and fitting each panel I have decided to drill all the holes first otherwise clamping the later panels would be very difficult with some panels in place.

The car has been left for the day upside down ready for the bottom panels to be attached first, perhaps tomorrow evening.
Dad and son at work
Now updating the blog while watching a recording of the Brazilian F1 GP.




Will have to see if a local Screwfix have one in stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment