Tuesday 6 March 2012

Build Day 56


Build time today 4.0 hours - Total build time 150.0 hours.
Man time today 5.0 hours - Total man time 172.5 hours.

More work on the body.
I started by looking at the scuttle again, trimming the blocks a little for a better fit in the hope I could get the panel to sit better. After a while when I could not seem to do anything to make it better I decided to check to see if the scuttle was at fault and placed it against a flat surface, the problem corner did not sit flush. A quick check on the internet reveled that the factory was open to popped up to see if I really had an issue or was being overly fussy (overly fussy).
Comparing my scuttle with one ready for collection revealed them to be much the same, and looking at some of the finished and partly built cars in the factory showed them to be at similar tolerances.

When I got back I decided to start to fit the aluminium bracket that supports the rear of the body work. The build guide is not clear exactly where to fit it but I was advised to fit after the body work was in place and position so that is supports the body work with the lower edge of the body work level with the bottom of the bracket. After a while fiddling through the boot hole and under the car with various clamps I decided where it needed to be fitted. To actually fit I used a spreader clamp to push the bodywork away from the chassis to allow me to locate the bracket where I wanted. Then using various clamps straight edges, masking tape, etc. I got to the point where I could mark the holes for the bracket, drill and then secure in place.
I did not secure the body work at this point just clamped it place.






Next job was to fetch the bonnet, expecting it to just fit in position, it did not. What followed was a period when the sides were unclipped from under the car and adjusted either forwards or backwards until the bonnet sat correctly, taking note of where it fitted against the scuttle and the front lower and upper edges of chassis. Eventually we reached a point where it looked to fit as square as possible. In doing this we could see that fitting the bonnet hinges was going to be a problem and Oli sugested that removing the radiator would provide better access.

The holes I had prepared the previous evening were now in the wrong places as the side panels had been moved so needed to be enlarged to clear the rivet nuts fixed into the chassis.

We finished for the day with everything in place but nothing attached, and the bonnet secured with masking tape.




No comments:

Post a Comment