Friday 11 November 2011

Why a kit car/Why a Westfield/Why now


For quite a while I have yearned for a track day oriented car.

In many ways I would like a motor bike, but I had a nasty motorcycle accident as a teenager leaving me in hospital for 3 months with a broken leg and dislocated hip and then having to walk with a calliper until my bones healed. Having a motor bike now is not really an option and it would be hypocritical for me to have a motorcycle while not letting my 17 year old son (Oli) have one.

The idea of a light weight car with a high power to weight ratio has always appealed to me as the next best thing to a motorcycle, to me the Arial Atom has to be one of the most appealing cars of this type, trouble is I can't justify buying and running one. A kit car also appeals, building a car will help me to understand how it works and to enable me to modify and improve it over time. Oli is leaning to drive, enjoys Karting and wants to be involved with the build and is very much prepared to enjoy it afterwards.

I'll admit I am not that keen on a kit car in the traditional sense, ie converting a donor car into something new. A glorified Air-fix model does appeal though and I could only think of two serious contenders Caterham and Westfield, though Caterham do appear to get the better reviews I only live about a mile from the Westfield factory making it an easy decision.

Why now, though a pipe dream to some degree the decision was made when a close friend was diagnosed with cancer, this sort of news tends to make you reflect on life and one's values.  This is something I have for a long time wanted to do and with my son now 17 it is probably the perfect time to do it as a family.  A visit to the factory was arranged and along I went with my wife (Tracy) and Oli, (much to the annoyance of my 18 year old daughter, Becki, who actually wants to be involved) Oli loved it and Tracy was supportive and did not veto the project. A test drive was booked two weeks later.

The test drive sold it, and a few days later I arranged to visit again with Becki to place the order. The order was placed for their special edition model with FW body work. I added the wide track option, Westfield lightweight breaks, sport turbo seats, grooved disks and harnesses. I considered having the panels fitted etc but decided I would have ago myself.

I could not decide on colour but was told that was not an issue. I would need to make a decision and let them know 5 weeks before I need the body work. I liked the white demonstrator, but both the children wanted Orange. My favoured colour scheme was white body with carbon effect cycle wings, black wheels, red brakes, red harnesses and red piping on the interior trim.  The due date was in the region of 8 weeks later, late November early December.

Soon afterwards, the delivery date was confirmed as 25th November.  I asked for a copy of the build manual which was duly supplied and having looked through it and read a number of build diaries I made a list of tools that I needed to purchase. Most of which have now been purchased from eBay and are now waiting in the garage to be put to use.

I now need to finish off the decorating this weekend and next because the Westfield kit is due the week after.


No comments:

Post a Comment